Thursday, March 4, 2010

Save money by making your own toys!

So we all know that most of the toys sold in this country are made in other countries. Some with questionable safety standars. Also with new "safety" laws for toy makers in this country it may be impossible for them to survive. Well by making your own toys for children, grandchildren, friends kids, etc. you not only are making sure they are safe but saving money at the same time! I am not a word worker but I find making simple wooden play food to be easy and fun. My son loves his kitchen so these are really great toys for him.





*I would not make these toys for children who are under the age of 3 or who still chew on toys. The paint is non-toxic but I still do not reccomend it* This set is going to a friends son for his birthday. I used pine as it is softer and easier to cut with a coping saw. I would love to have a scroll saw I think it would make it a lot easier. I sanded the edges with a low grade sandpaper and finished the sides off with a dremel.  I painted them with non-toxic water colors and finished them with a combo of jojoba oil, and beeswax. Here is a little tutorial on how to do it. For the template I just used clipart veggies that had a good shape, printed them, and cut them out. I then traced them onto the wood and had hubby cut them out. Here is a tutorial by the same lady that does the polish. I am really excited by how they turned out. The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment