Friday, March 26, 2010

How to make a pillow case dress from an old t-shirt!

So this morning the baby got up at about 4:30 am and was up.  I knew she wouldn't go back to sleep for awhile so we went downstairs and chilled.  Then about an hour later I got her to go to sleep.  Well I was no longer tired and realized I had a couple hours to myself!  What to do what to do?  Unload the dishwasher?  Fold the laundry?  Clean up the living room?  Or sew?  Well you can probably guess what I did.  I have been wanting to try this project for awhile so I just went ahead and did it!

This is not for sleep.  Make sure to tie ribbons very tightly and securly as they could pose a choking hazard.  This will fit a 12 mos old.  If you want it bigger use a dress your child fits in as a guide or just add a couple of inches.
What you will need for this project:

Old t-shirt (preferably with cute picture ;) )
Sewing Machine
Scissors
Measuring Tape
Ribbon



Step one:  Lay the t-shirt flat.  Measure 3 inches from top of logo and mark.  I measured 12 inches in width and the length is really up to the height of your child.  Connect the dots and make a square. (I wanted to take a picture of this but my camera died)
Step two:  In the top corners of your shirt measure two inches down and two inches across and mark.  Connect these dots, you will have made a triangle.  These will be for the arm holes.  Cut out dress including triangles (use picture below as reference).


Sorry it is kind of hard to see.  Here I connected the dots and will cut along this line.

Step three:  Fold over hem on sleeves twice and sew.  You will do this on both sides of both pieces.
Step four:  Fold over hem on neckline twice.  This is where you will string the ribbon thru so make sure to fold it over enough.
Step five:  Pin both sides together facing the right way and sew along the sides (You can fold the side hems over twice and sew first if you would like.  I was working as fast as I could so I skipped this step!).
Step six- optional...I did not do this.  Working with the dress inside out you can fold the bottom over twice to make a hem.  As this is made of jersey material I did not.  I like the rough "beachy" look of it not sewn (and I like to do things the quickest way possible!).
Step Seven-  Cut two lengths of ribbon about 12 inches long.  Put a safety pin in one side and thread thru top space in dress.  Remove pin.  Do this to both sides. 




And that it is!!  Soooo easy.  I really really really love how this turned out!  I have a feeling I will make a bunch of these for my little girl to wear this summer :)

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you could post a tutorial on how to make a jean skirt out of Jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I totally missed this comment. I have never done so but if you visit http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/denimskirts.htm you will find a great tutorial. I highly suggest checking out the rest of the site as well as her blog. Full of great stuff!

    ReplyDelete