Monday, January 20, 2014

Expanding My Knitty Horizons

So I have some ideas in my head of cute patterns I would like to make. Problem is I don't possess the skills to do them! So I am trying to expand my knowledge my trying out more challenging patterns. I have never made anything bigger than a hat so I decided the next logical step would be a sweater.

 
I decided on the Little Girl's Swing Vest pattern. It's a free pattern on Ravelry and was a great beginners pattern for a little girl's cardigan. I used size 10 1/2 needles instead of 10 because my daughter barely fits in 4t. This turned out to be the perfect size. Maybe a 5/6? It is all one piece and I didn't have any problems with it...well other than my obvious crappy tension. I'm sure the knitting experts would be clutching their pearls (or purls) at the sight of it! I have been trying to use the European knit stitch (not even trying the purl yet!) so this was kind of a practice piece for me. I originally envisioned aqua granny squares as pockets but I had just enough to make 2 pockets and promptly ruined one by trying to sew my Babushka ribbon on it. Since I need more yarn like I need a kick in the shin I decided just to make do with what I had.
 
 
I used this pretty white wool yarn I purchased from a spinner in my hometown. I just used an E hook to make a simple motif for the pockets. If anyone is interested in the pattern leave a comment below asking for it. Otherwise I probably won't be posting it.
 
 
I narrowed my button collection down to these 3 cute little vintage finds. I went with the one on the right but I might wimp out and buy a larger aqua one since I had my heart set on that color.
 
 
I have never really sewn onto knitting like this. I just pinned the pockets down how I wanted them and sewed them on with an embroidery needle and a bit of the white yarn. I tried to stretch the top out a bit to make it more pocketish (auto correct is telling me that isn't a work, I disagree).
 
Here it is! The finished (maybe) product! It turned out a bit short so it is more of a bolero. I have some colors in mind to make another one with and I will probably extend it by at least 2 inches.


 
Well what do you think? Anyone interested in the pattern for the pockets? It's pretty simple but just let me know by leaving a comment!





 
 

6 comments:

  1. This sweater is so sweet, will you please post the pocket pattern? It gives me an idea for my mom. I love reading your blog, thank you for sharing your ideas, stories, and bits of your life. And, thanks for inspiring me to get crafty again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Sure I will write it up asap. I'm so glad you like my blog, it means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I sometimes have wonky tension too in large stockinette pieces and I find that a really good blocking helps to even it out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Pepper! I am getting kind of frustrated with the tension troubles I am having with the European knit. I was trying to use it last night but the tension was so off that I just went back to the old way which is so much more time consuming. I think I need to just practice making some dishcloths or something until I get it right. And as far as the blocking goes...I had to look it up because I didn't know what it was (shhh! don't tell anyone!). I am going to give it a try! Sounds like it would really help with the shape of the pockets. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thin it is lovely! And a great introduction into a lot of little skills that will help you knit more and more things. Now, crochet baffles me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! I'm having a hard time deciding what my next project should be. Good luck with your crocheting!!

    ReplyDelete