Thursday, May 31, 2012

Insulated and Reusable Water Bottle

Well, long time no see! Or should I say long time no blog? Oh well. It has been a very busy spring here but I am back, and with a very easy pattern for you!

It has been rather hot here lately and I have been drinking a crazy amount of water. Most summers I don't drink enough water so I am trying to be more healthy, blah, blah, blah ;) We never use disposable water bottles (I won't get preachy, I will just stick to "they suck"). The problem is we only have 3 of those metal water bottles and there are 4 of us.

I used up the last of my vinegar which just so happened to come in a pretty cool looking bottle. I rinsed it out lots to get rid of the vinegary smell and took off the label (hot water and a scratchy pad). I don't use ice but I wanted to make it insulted a little for when I am working in the garden or selling at market and this is what I came up with!


My very own insulated and reusable water bottle! It was super easy to make and this is more a set of guidelines then a pattern.

You will need an H hook, some worsted weight yarn, and a bottle.

For the bottom:

Round 1: Ch 3, 12 hdc in 3rd chain from hook. Join with a slip stitch in the top of the first hdc.

Round 2: Ch 2 (this counts as your first hdc), hdc in same space. 2 hdc in each space around. (24 hdc) Join at top of ch 2 with a slipt stich.


This is what your bottom should look like. You want the bottom to be slightly smaller than your bottle...like this.

You want the whole cozy to be slightly smaller so it doesn't slip off so this is perfect. If you have a particularly large jar you can go out another row which would be

Optional Round: Ch 2, hdc in same space, 1 hdc in next space. Repeat around. (36 hdc)

Round 3: Ch 2, working in the back loops, hdc around. Join with slip stitch in top of ch 2. Repeat round 3 as many times as it takes to make the cozy as tall as you need.

Now slip your cozy on your bottle...


You can add a flower or buttons if you like. I used this pattern from Lucy of Attic24. Congrats! You took something that was destined for the trash and made an awesome, reusable, water bottle. Plus you can save lots of money by using these instead of yucky, plastic, disposable bottles! Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment