Monday, January 13, 2014

Sweet and Sour Frizzled Onion Dressing!

So I have eaten my weight in these salads the last few weeks. It started, of course, after the holidays and I felt like garbage from all the sweets and treats I had eaten. We don't purchase salad dressing because...well I don't like it and it's too expensive. I usually just stick with oil and vinegar but shook things up a bit by making a really delish sweet and sour type dressing.

 
The salad is simply fresh spinach, chopped clementine, thin sliced red onion, shredded carrot, and Feta cheese. A little tip to make the onions sweeter that I learned in my teenage fast food glory days (Wendy's to be precise) is to soak the onions in salt water (about 1 cup water to 1 tbsp. salt should do) for a bit. It sweetens them up and takes away the bitterness!
 
 
Sweet and Sour Frizzled Onion Dressing:
 
 
1/3 c. olive oil (I do not use EVOO for cooking purposes)
 
1/3 c. red wine vinegar
 
2 tbsp. super fine chopped red onion
 
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
 
1 tbsp. Agave syrup
 
Salt and pepper salad to taste!
 
 
Heat olive oil on medium heat for a few minutes. Add chopped red onion and cook until the onion is a nice golden brown. Take off heat and let sit until room temp. Pour the oil carefully into a jar and add the vinegar, mustard, and Agave. Put on a lid and shake, shake, shake until the mustard has emulsified the mixture. Pour into a fancy shmancy container or just leave it in the jar!
 
I love LOVE getting comments so pretty please leave me a comment if you make this dressing and let me know what you think?
 
 
Show some love and share this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment